Monday, November 21, 2011

Keep it Sensitive, Case Sensitive!

They're case sensitive operating systems and programming languages, and others that are not. Now do you give in to the medium rules or do you stay congruent no matter what or where you are developing?

This is an easy question. Of course you stay congruent across mediums but the challenge is discipline. Because not being congruent today may not effect you now but it will in the future, like it happened to me.

Recently I transferred my websites from my windows to Linux server. I could not get the sites to work on Linux. After hours of debugging I found that the error lied in the case of the string. Not only did it effect my variables but also the URL. I looked around for a way to change this feature but realize that its a good thing to have. I was practicing a bad habit and needed to brake it now.

Now when you have that thought "Is this case sensitive." You'll know what to tell yourself. Keep it Sensitive.


Ways to be congruent:
Defining your variables, folders, files and so on in a standard naming convention. Camel back (camelBack) your variables and capitalize your classes.



Notes:
Case Sensitive => Linux, Unix, Javascript
Case Insensitive => PHP, Windows

No comments:

Post a Comment