Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Point Domain Name to your Server

My domain names are hosted by namecheap.com after I decided to make a switch out of godaddy.com. However, I never got around to point my domain name to my server instead I had a simple webpage redirect. Below is a conversation I had with their support team where they explain to me what types of re-directions are and how configure it.

You are now chatting with Natalie Z. - Domains Support
21:47Natalie Z.: Hello, you've contacted Live Support! How can I help you today?
21:48kaka: I have a server where my website is located. I'm trying to use my domain name
21:50kaka: I'm basically trying to forward the domain name not a redirect. How do I do that
21:51Natalie Z.: What exactly you wish to configure on our side? Change nameservers? Create some host record? Create URL redirect?
21:52kaka: What is the difference between changing nameservers and URL redirect
21:55Natalie Z.: If you change the nameservers, you will delegate domain's zone file to the side of your hosting provider and you will need to manage host records there. If you set up URL redirect, you just make the domain redirect to other one, the nameservers are not changed, host records are managed on our side. Changing nameservers will give you some options on the side of your hosting provider to manage your domain there
21:56kaka: I have my server IP address and I want my domain name to direct me to it. But I dont want masking redirect but an actual change. Do understand what I mean?
21:57Natalie Z.: If you need to point your domain to IP address, you need to do the following
21:58Natalie Z.: Go to My Account -> Manage Domains, click on the domain and after the page refreshes choose All Host Records at the left side menu.
21:58Natalie Z.: You need to enter your IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.x) for both the www and the @ fields and choose A (Address) as the Record Type from the drop down menu. Save changes
21:59kaka: what is the difference between A(address) and URL Redirect
22:01Natalie Z.: A (address) record should be created when you want to associate your domain or subdomain with IP address. URL redirect is used when you just want your visitors type the name of your domain in the address bar and being redirected to any specific web page
22:02kaka: what do i put in for TTL?
22:03Natalie Z.: You can put 1800 as a default value
22:06kaka: If I wanted direct to a specific location in my server like xxx.xxx.xxx.x/myfolder is this posible?
22:07Natalie Z.: Unfortunately, with A record it is not possible
22:07Natalie Z.: This should be configured on your server directly
22:09kaka: How long will it take for the changes to take effect?
22:10Natalie Z.: The changes will take effect within 30 minutes
22:10kaka: ok thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment