Saturday, May 7, 2011

How to get the microphone to work, Ubuntu 11.04

First click on the speaker on the right hand corner->sound preference->input. Make sure that a input device is selected, the input volume is not muted, or isnt set too low.
------------------------------------------------------
Open terminal and enter:
alsamixer

press F5 to view all controls bars
tab allows you to select a specific bar (the description will turn red)

the arrow keys up and down allows you to increase or decrease the property selected

Capture, Capture 1, Input Source, Rear Mic and Rear Mic Boost was what allowed my microphone to work.

Initially I turned everything up until I saw a red square on each bar. Then I played with the Input Source and realize that by setting the first Input Source to Rear Mic it made my microphone work. Then I played with the volumes to reduce the background noise.

I used the 'sound recorder' to test my microphone. I tried skype and the microphone also worked.

AlsaMixer v.1.0.24.2 my configuration











Any questions leave it in the comments

2 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot dude...you have saved my day.. now mic is working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry.., i cant get it.., can u post the picture clearly.., and what optn shud i select for rear mic?? mm or 00???
    tried both..,
    still cant get it

    ReplyDelete